Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Are eggs now designed by NASA?

Happy belated 4th of July all!  I am still in Bend visiting my family.  I had an interesting experience this weekend and wanted to run it by you all.   My mom has a friend that was throwing a little BBQ for the holiday weekend and my mom volunteered me to make deviled eggs.  I love them and have had great reviews over my version, but what a pain in the butt to make; especially for a party that is expecting 25 guests. I don't know if I am just going crazy or if NASA is getting into the incredible edible egg industry, but eggs seem like they are getting harder and harder to peel. The membrane that is between the whites and the shell is like thick space-grade rubber and the shell seems thinner.  It is almost impossible to peel without damaging the outside of the white.  Now, I'm pretty sure I know how to how to make a hard boiled egg and here is what I do...

*Place the eggs (mine organic) in a pot and cover with about 2" of water.  Bring to a boil and then shut off the heat and let them sit for about 15 or 20 min. Rinse with ice cold water until cooled.

Round one became egg salad because I could not get the damn egg membrane to separate from the whites so they were not presentable for deviled eggs... (Side note: we are T minus 1 hour to the party and I am frantic). I get online to see if there is some magic trick I don't know about and, thank God, I find this video.
 

I am like "no way he just did that; Woo Hoo baking soda in the water!" I run to the store buy two more dozen eggs, add the baking soda, get them rolling, and cool them off.  I started to peel the eggs and NOPE it didn't frickin work. I was so crushed and frustrated.  I have never had this much trouble before.  Well, I did once and a friend of mine said you shouldn't use really fresh eggs. It's best if the eggs are least a week or two old. The first batch I had attempted met that criteria and were a disaster as I already mentioned, so that wasn't the issue.

Thankfully, we got enough peeled to get the dish together. Baking soda appears to have helped a bit,  but I am a perfectionist and I wasn't doing back flips over the presentation, if you know what I mean. Fortunately, they were delicious, so no one really looked at them before gobbling them down and they were gone in a flash. 

If you know of any tips of ideas please let me know.  Have they added something to the hen's feed to make that membrane stronger and thicker for shipping? Does organic make a difference? Should I boil them in smaller batches?  Hit me back with you best egg disasters or tip and tricks. Thanks!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment