Monday, June 20, 2011

Home in Portland 1st stop the Screen Door.


We drove up to Portland Saturday for a little surprise visit to some family and friends we haven't seen for the 6 months that we have been living on the road.  It was so nice to see everyone even if just for a quick trip.  Our very first stop was to have breakfast at the Screen Door. www.screendoorrestaurant.com
This is one of my most favorite places to eat in Portland and I have been missing it. This is saying a lot because there are a ton of really great restaurants! We started with the sticky buns. Wow! is all I can say about that bun of utter love. Honestly, I am not usually a sticky bun kinda gal, but something told be to give it a try and boy am I glad I did. Moist, sticky, gooey, so perfect I swear I could have eaten an entire pan of them. As if that wasn't enough caloric intake for the day, I ordered the corned beef hash with spinach and mushrooms drizzled with a light creole mustard cream sauce. The flavor was outstanding with the mustard sauce really bringing it all together.  Everything was very well balanced and cooked perfectly.  I love my corned beef to be cubed so it gets really caramelized on the grill. 
Chris had the fried chicken and waffles, so how can you go wrong? The chicken is very juicy and  has a crispy spicy crust. You get three HUGE boneless fried chicken breasts and a malted Belgian style waffle.  She dug in before I could get a picture of the presentation so the picture is of it deconstructed. If you order this you will for sure have left overs. The Screen Door is very good and very consistent which is one of the hardest things to find. Yes, there can be a long wait but I have found you either have to get there right when they open or wait until around 11:00 am when the morning rush is starting to thin out.

The food is Southern and the setting is casual. Everything is very fresh, mostly organic and locally sourced. The dinner menu is fantastic as well.  They always have a few really great specials as if what is on the menu is not enough.  They even have a seasonal sides menu (often vegetable dishes and salads) you can add to any of your other menu choices. It is also very vegetarian friendly.  I have been going here for years and the owner always remembers me and says hello even if I haven't been in for a while (6 months just recently). 
 Once you try the Screendoor, I'm sure you'll be a lifetime fan like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment